The eruption of wisdom teeth, or third molars, is an overwhelming experience. While some individuals sail through this phase without any trouble, many are plagued by impacted wisdom teeth. These stubborn teeth can cause a range of discomforting symptoms, alerting us to their presence and urging us to seek professional dental care.
In this blog, we will unravel the most common symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth. So, let’s embark on this journey together and learn how to find wisdom teeth removal pain relief!
- Jaw Pain and Stiffness: When impacted wisdom teeth exert pressure on the surrounding tissues, it often leads to jaw pain and stiffness. This discomfort can range from mild soreness to sharp, throbbing pain, making it challenging to open the mouth fully. If you notice persistent jaw discomfort or difficulty in jaw movement, it may be a red flag indicating impacted wisdom teeth.
- Tender and Swollen Gums: Our gums play a crucial role in supporting and protecting our teeth. When wisdom teeth struggle to emerge properly, they can cause inflammation and swelling in the gums. Tender and swollen gums around the back corners of the mouth are common signs of impacted wisdom teeth. You may notice redness, sensitivity, and even the formation of small pockets or flaps of the gum tissue over the partially erupted tooth. If you experience these symptoms, it is time to play detective and investigate further.
- Pain in Adjacent Teeth: Our teeth are well-acquainted with their neighbours, maintaining a harmonious alignment. However, when impacted wisdom teeth decide to make their grand entrance, they can disrupt this harmony. The pressure exerted by these mischievous molars can lead to pain and sensitivity in the adjacent teeth. You may feel a dull ache or sharp discomfort in the teeth near the back of your mouth. This sensation may intensify when biting or chewing, highlighting the presence of impacted wisdom teeth.
- Persistent Bad Breath and Unpleasant Taste: Impacted wisdom teeth create small pockets between the gums and the partially erupted tooth. These pockets become cosy hideaways for bacteria to thrive, leading to a not-so-pleasant side effect—bad breath. If you notice a persistent foul odour despite maintaining good oral hygiene, it could be a sign of impacted wisdom teeth. Additionally, you might experience an unpleasant taste in your mouth, even after brushing or using mouthwash. These oral detectives certainly know how to leave their mark!
- Headaches and Earaches: Believe it or not, impacted wisdom teeth can cause a ripple effect that extends beyond the mouth. The radiating pain from these teeth can manifest as headaches or earaches. You may experience dull, persistent headaches, often localized around the temples or the back of the head. Earaches, along with a feeling of fullness or pressure in the ears, can also be attributed to impacted wisdom teeth. If you find yourself reaching for pain relievers or constantly adjusting your ears, it’s time to investigate the wisdom teeth connection.
Not all cases present with the same signs. There are a few hidden symptoms that may not be immediately associated with wisdom teeth but can still be attributed to their impact:
- Sinus Problems: Did you know that impacted wisdom teeth in the upper jaw can affect your sinuses? When these teeth grow in the direction of the sinuses, they can cause pressure and lead to sinus pain, congestion, and even recurrent sinus infections. If you find yourself experiencing unexplained sinus issues, it is worth considering the role of your wisdom teeth in the mystery.
- Difficulty Opening the Mouth: Impacted wisdom teeth can restrict the natural movement of the jaw. In some cases, this can result in difficulty opening the mouth fully or experiencing pain when attempting to do so. If you notice limitations in your jaw’s range of motion, particularly in the back of the mouth, it may be an indication of impacted wisdom teeth.
- Neck and Shoulder Pain: Impacted wisdom teeth can contribute to discomfort beyond the oral cavity. The radiating pain from these teeth can extend to the neck and shoulders, causing tension, stiffness, and soreness in these areas. If you are experiencing unexplained neck or shoulder pain, it is worth considering the role of your wisdom teeth in this dental whodunit.
What about Seeking Professional Evaluation?
While being aware of the common and hidden symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth is valuable, it is crucial to consult a dental professional for an accurate diagnosis. Dentists are skilled in evaluating oral health and can determine if your symptoms are indeed related to impacted wisdom teeth or if there may be other underlying causes.
During your dental visit, the dentist will conduct a thorough examination, which may include X-rays to assess the position and condition of your wisdom teeth. Based on their findings, they can provide personalized recommendations and discuss the most appropriate treatment options.
When it comes to treating impacted wisdom teeth, extraction is often the recommended course of action. Extraction can prevent future complications and alleviate the associated symptoms. The procedure can be performed by a dentist or an oral surgeon, depending on the complexity of the case.
In less complicated scenarios, a dentist may perform a simple extraction, removing the impacted tooth under local anaesthesia. However, if the tooth is fully submerged within the jawbone or has a complex positioning, a surgical extraction or an impacted tooth exposure may be required. These procedures involve making an incision in the gum tissue to access and remove the impacted tooth.
Wrapping It Up
By being aware of the common and hidden symptoms, you can seek appropriate dental care for impacted wisdom teeth. Whether it is jaw pain, swollen gums, or even neck and shoulder discomfort, these symptoms serve as clues pointing towards impacted wisdom teeth. Remember to consult a dental professional for an accurate diagnosis and personalized treatment options. With their expertise, you can bid farewell to the mystery and embrace a healthier, pain-free smile.
In times of dental emergencies, the expertise of Emergency Dentist London Pro can provide prompt and reliable assistance. Our skilled professionals are equipped for emergency wisdom tooth removal, ensuring timely care and relief for patients in need. Contact us to get instant medical attention.